Monday, March 1, 2010

I just spent my Sunday walking through the forest in 3 inch heels

This past weekend was the opening weekend of Sherwood Forest.  Which is basically a smaller Renaissance Festival. And it was bad ass.

I made my own costume this time.  That was the first time I've ever done anything like that, and even though it wasn't very elaborate, I think it came out nicely. 

 

It was really simple.  I had an old green dress that I wore once as part of a Halloween costume that I'd never worn since.  That's what made my tank top and skirt.  I used eyelets and a shoelace to make the lace up the front of the tank.  They eyelets came from a craft store and cost less than $5, the shoelaces from the grocery store.  The belt came from Ross and the stockings are just generic stockings.

My favorite part is the boots.


 
I got them as a Christmas present recently.  They were kind of expensive, but I've been getting a lot of use out of them.  Though they are tall, they're not terribly uncomfortable, and they're basically my first pair of heels and I've been managing them perfectly.  They also work really well with jeans.  
I actually tried on some clothes while I was there too and there was one specific outfit that I liked a lot.


I really liked this one.  Especially the corset (they're so sexy!).  But the cheapest part of that outfit was $40, so I don't think I'll be getting it for a while.  But the good news is that it is made up of very simple components: two skirts, a shirt with an open front, and a corset.  I do already have a corset and some flowy skirts, so I tried to recreate it at home.  

 

To make it more interesting, I tucked up a part of the skirts into my waist.  It made it look more ruffly and brought out a nice color contrast.
The corset came from Charlotte Russe and was around $3 (hoo-ray for the discount rack!) 
The skirts were hand me downs from my mom, but they have been growing in popularity and I think I saw some at Forever 21 last time I was there
And the shirt was just a tight, low cut shirt I got from somewhere in France, H&M, I think.

It was a fair attempt at a reproduction, I think.  And because it was less extreme, it's something I could possibly were around (should I ever gather the courage to wear a skirt outside).

No comments:

Post a Comment